Best mac & cheese I’ve ever made. Also, the first.
Very rich comfort food. Obviously not for the faint of heart or blocked of artery.
12 oz condensed milk (one can)
6 tsp butter
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp hot sauce (I used Tapatio… but only because I couldn’t find my Cholula)
fresh ground black pepper (dunno, a peck? enough until it feels right)
1.5 tsp ground mustard
4-6 strips of bacon
12-14 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
4 oz mixed shredded Italian cheeses (I get the asiago, parm, mozz mix)
1 lb. elbow macaroni
Shredded parmesan (optional)
Panko bread crumbs (optional)
- Cook the bacon. Set aside. Chop up when cool.
- Cook the macaroni. ~7 minutes for al dente for most boxed brands
- Add eggs in mixer bowl. Mix in condensed milk, pepper, hot sauce, salt, mustard powder.
- Drain the noodles, but don’t wash them.
- Stir the butter into the noodles (I found it easier to do it in 1 tsp pats)
- Stir the mixture into the noodles. Mix until evenly coated.
- Stir in the shredded cheese and bacon. Mix until all cheese melted and evenly distributed.
You can stop there and serve. However, if you’re like me, you’ll want to:
- Pour the noodles into a buttered 9×13 baking dish.
- Spread the shredded parmesan on top until moderately covered.
- Spread Panko bread crumbs on top until moderately covered.
- Broil until top begins to brown. (You can bake before you broil to bring the temp up if it’s cooled too much for your enjoyment. If you like the top blackened, add more Panko, some herbs, and bacon and broil away).
Note: I also forgot to put the bacon in the first time. You can add it later pre-baking/broiling and just bury it in the noodles. Works fiiiiine and is a bit more aesthetically pleasing, if you ask me.
Review: 4/5. Best mac and chee ever, but still room for improvement. A squaring off flavor to even out the rich roundness of the dish. Still, this serves a bundle and fills everyone up. Don’t get the blue box, make some comfort lurve.